Requirements for Godparents for your Child
As stated in Canon Law and required by the Diocese of Stockton
1. Must be at least 16 years of age.
2. Must be a baptized Catholic who has completed the sacraments of Eucharist and Confirmation.
3. May not be the parent of the child being baptized.
4. If married, must be married in the Catholic Church, regularly attending Mass on Sunday, and living their Faith.
5. A baptized non-Catholic may not be godparent but may serve as a witness along with a Catholic godparent.
6. Non-baptized persons as well as non-practicing baptized Catholics may not serve as witnesses of godparents.
7. There is to be only one male sponsor or one female sponsor or one of each.